This post will look at numbering in the Derbyshire Yeomanry between 1908 and 1914.
By 1914 The Derbyshire Yeomanry, headquartered at 91 Siddall's Road, Derby and forming part of the Notts and Derby Mounted Brigade, was distributed as follows:
A Squadron: Chesterfield, with drill stations at Ripley, Belper, Beauchief and Eckington.
B Squadron: Bakewell, with drill stations at Buxton, Tideswell, Matlock, Youlgrave and Hartington
C Squadron: Derby with drill stations at Osmaston Manor, Duffield and Wirksworth.
D Squadron: Derby, with drill stations at Ilkeston, Church Gresley and Repton.
The regiment did not start numbering from 1 in April 1908 but instead continued with the numbering sequence that had been in use when it was the Derbyshire Imperial Yeomanry. Men who had previously served with the Derbyshire IY, re-enlisted with the new Derbyshire Yeomanry using their old regimental numbers.
830 joined on 11th April 1908
1340 joined on 25th November 1909
1424 joined on 21st October 1910
1445 joined on 18th January 1911
1549 joined on 15th November 1912
1629 joined on 10th October 1913
1759 joined on 18th March 1914
1794 joined on 11th August 1914
1869 joined on 11th September 1914
2010 joined on 14th October 1914
A 2/1st regiment had been formed in September 1914 and a 3/1st unit would be formed in 1915. All three battalions drew their regimental numbers from the same series.
Image borrowed form the Derbyshire Yeomanry website.
I also offer a comprehensive, fast and cost-effective military history research service. Follow the link for more information.
From the Naval & Military Press:
When the Territorial Force was created in 1908, the Derbyshire Yeomanry, together with the South Notts Hussars and Sherwood Rangers formed the Notts and Derby Mounted Brigade in the 1st Mounted Division. In September 1914 another mounted division was formed, the 2nd, to which the Notts and Derby Brigade was transferred, and in November the division was deployed along the Norfolk coast, the regiment being stationed in Cromer. In April 1915 the division sailed for Egypt where the brigade was re-designated 3rd Mounted Brigade. In August the division was sent, dismounted, to Gallipoli, landing at Suvla and two or three days later (21st August) the regiment was involved in the advance across the open from Lala Baba to Chocolate Hill in which action losses amounted to 78 with 20 dead. In October the division was withdrawn and sent back to Egypt where it was broken up. The 3rd Mounted Brigade was ordered to Salonika where it arrived in February 1916. The regiment remained in Macedonia for the rest of the war.
This history, primarily intended for members of the regiment, gives a good account of the regiment's war service at Gallipoli and in Macedonia. Lie of the land, climate, conditions, health and medical, operations, opinions of Turks, Bulgars and Russians are all discussed and described, and the narrative covers activities in and out of the line. The final chapter contains the list of officers who served overseas with the regiment (67, among them Capt Sir Oswald Mosley), Roll of Honour (79 dead of whom three were officers), list of Mentions in Despatches and Honours and Awards. There is no index